Polyester couches are very well admired for their aesthetic look and the comfy feel. Not only that, they look good in your living area. They are commonly famous for their durability and strength, along with their resistance to mold and abrasion.
No matter how many qualities they attain, every kind of fabric needs to get cleaned. Polyester can get stained too, and you need to clean it often to make your home look neat and fresh.
- What is Polyester?
- Why do I need to Clean a Polyester Couch?
- How to Clean a Polyester Couch – Steps to Follow
- Pro Tips and Tricks for Cleaning your Couch
What is Polyester?
Polyester is one kind of fabric that is man-made and made up of synthetic fibers, but it gives the fabric strength and durability. Due to its amazing qualities, it is preferred by many people. This material is also not affected by the sun as much as the other materials, and it can hold its color for a long period of time. There are many types of polyester used in furniture, including faux leather, satin, microfibers, etc.
Why do I need to Clean a Polyester Couch?
Every kind of fabric gets dull over time. If we take off regularly, we can use them more with their increased life and a better look. The same goes for the polyester couches. If you maintain cleanliness, they will last longer than you think. Otherwise, they will get dull and dull, and you will need to change them at the end.
Another possible reason for cleaning a polyester couch is it get stained due to anything like spilling of some drink. If the polyester couch gets stained or soiled, you need to clean, or it won’t look good.
If you have a polyester couch at home that requires cleaning, so keep reading. We have concluded some solutions to cleaning out your couch, take a look:-
How to Clean a Polyester Couch – Steps to Follow
1. Get the Cleaning Code
Lookout on your polyester couch. Where it has a tag, there must be a code written on it. The code could be W, S, SW, or X. check for that code as it will help you select the cleaner for that particular couch.
- If the code is ‘W,’ it means you just need to water clean the couch.
- The letter ‘S’ indicates solvent cleaning.
- SW, as suggested by the letters, means both types of cleaner can be used either water-based or solvent-based.
- The tag to be careful about is ‘X,’ as it means that this couch needs to be cleaned by professionals only.
2. Start Cleaning your Polyester Couch with Vacuum
Start the cleaning procedure with a good vacuuming first. It will help remove all the debris that is present on the couch. Clean from the top, between the cushions, and everywhere possible.
3. Spray the Cleanser
Now it’s the time to spray your cleanser on the couch. You can buy the cleanser according to your couch type from the market or online. Use a spray bottle to clean the couch.
Make Your Cleanser At Home: You can also make the cleanser at home by using household items. You can mix:
- One tablespoon of vinegar
- One tablespoon of laundry detergent
- Warm water
Pour the solution into a spray bottle and use it.
Pro Tip: Always do a test try first before spraying it on the front. For this, select a side that is not very visible. Use a clean cloth to rub the mixture on the polyester and then leave it to dry. If it dries without leaving a spot and the test spot looks fine, then you can use this in a spray bottle for the cleaning of the front side.
4. Rub the Couch
After you have sprayed the cleanser, now the time to rub or blot it. For this, you need to take a clean cloth and rub the cleanser into the couch. Rub those areas more that have stains.
Most of the cleaners do not need to be rinsed off.
5. Fluff up the Couch
Take a soft brush and rub it against the polyester fabric. This will make the couch fluffy again.
You can use alcohol and scrub it with a cotton cloth. The alcohol will dry and will not leave the spot. Avoid using more solvent. Just apply the alcohol and let it dry. Use a hairdryer to speed up the process.
How often should we Clean our Polyester Couch?
Cleaning the polyester helps to increase the life of the couch. You should clean it often as they are something in continuous use, and the dirt and spills will decrease its life. We recommend you to clean the couches every 6 to 12 months to increase their life span and to have a cleaner look of your living area.
Pro Tips and Tricks for Cleaning your Couch
- Shampoo can help get rid of stains too.
- Lemon juice can help with the bad odor.
- Warm water will work well on the greasy stains, and cold one will work well on the normal stains.
- Use a dryer to speed up the whole process.
- You can apply baking soda on the couch stains too and then clean it with the dampened sponge.
- Always do the test cleaning first to avoid any mishap later on.
- Use gloves if you are using any commercial cleaner as they are harsh sometimes.
- Do not over-damped the sofa.
- Always check the cleaning code before you start cleaning. Try to check the label before buying the couch as well.
I hope that now you know everything about your polyester couch cleaning and get the answer of your question how to clean a polyester couch. They need to be cleaned once a while to increase their life as well as to have a neat looking living area.
Follow the steps and have a clean polyester couch at your place.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q. I can’t find any tag on my couch, which cleaner should I make?
You can mix detergent liquid of about one teaspoon and vinegar of 1 teaspoon with warm water. This mixture will be safe to use on your couch.
Q. Is it easy to clean a polyester couch?
An actual polyester couch is quite easy to clean and maintain. We have told you some easy tricks, follow them, and get your couches clean.
Q. Is polyester eco-friendly?
Polyester is a man-made synthetic material that is mainly made up of plastic, which makes it not very friendly for the environment.