Kitchen cabinets are a must in your kitchen. Wooden kitchen cabinets are usually preferred as they look most elegant.
But maintaining these elegant-looking cabinets is a task itself. These cabinets act as a magnet for sticky, greasy stains. They form a layer over them that is hard to clean, and that looks disgusting.
But no matter how hard it looks like, you need to clean up your cabinets for a clean finish. It’s the question of many that how to clean sticky wood kitchen cabinets. We have got some ideas of cleaning the cabinets that would help you out, so keep reading.
- What causes the greasy substance on the kitchen cabinets?
- How to clean Sticky Wood Kitchen cabinets?
- Ways to Clean the Cabinets:
- 1. Clean Your Cabinet with Dish Soap
- 2. Using Baking Soda to take off the Grease:
- 3. Remove sticky grease with vinegar spray:
- 4. Clean the cabinets with toothpaste
- Pro Tip:
- FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
What causes the greasy substance on the kitchen cabinets?
Kitchen cabinets are usually at closer proximity to the stove. Cooking with oil and greasy substances will lead to sticky residues on the cabinets. When you cook, this oil evaporates and stick on the cupboard without you knowing it or realizing it. Then dust comes and plays its part in making that oil sticky and greasy. Over time this greasy material builds up and up and leaves you with sticky cabinets.
How to clean Sticky Wood Kitchen cabinets?
You must have thought of this question when you come to realize how greasy your cabinets are. You can surely go out and buy some commercial cleaners for the cabinets, but you can also make some effective ones at home. These cleaners are available on your kitchen shelves, but you might have never thought of them.
Ways to Clean the Cabinets:
There are a few ideas that you can pick from when you plan to clean out all the grease from your kitchen shelves. They are different kinds of ingredients, and you can choose the one suitable for you.
- Clean your cabinets with Dish Soap
- Using baking soda to clean the grease.
- Remove sticky grease with vinegar spray
- Clean the cabinets with toothpaste.
These are the four ingredients that you can use to clean the grease off your kitchen cabinets.
1. Clean Your Cabinet with Dish Soap
This is the first option that is present at everyone’s kitchen shelf. Blue dawn is an option of the dishwasher that works perfectly.
Steps to follow:
- Take a container and fill it with warm water.
- Add dish soap in it and mix well
- Take your sponge, dip it in the mixture.
- Now rub on the greasy spots and scrub the area.
- If the sponge doesn’t help you take out the grease, try with a toothbrush.
- Scrub the sticky spots.
- Now take a damped cloth with vinegar and water solution and wipe off the soap from the cabinets.
2. Using Baking Soda to take off the Grease:
Baking soda is always helpful for cleaning purposes due to its properties. It is helpful in the cabinets too. It has more scrubbing power, and it does not destroy the cabinets.
Steps to follow:
- Take a deep bowl and mix baking soda and water in it. Make a thick paste.
- Now take an old tooth brush and dip it in the mixture.
- Scrub the greasy area with the toothbrush gently.
- Leave the mixture on the grease for a few minutes.
- Now scrub again.
- Take a damped cloth and wipe off all the baking soda along with the sticky grease.
- Apply some re-moisturizer like linseed oil to give a shiny look.
There is an alternative way to use baking soda. For this, you need an orange.
- Take an orange and cut it in half.
- Take some baking soda in a big plate.
- Dip the orange in the baking soda and scrub the cabinets with it.
- Do some scrubbing, and then wipe it all off.
- Apply the oil for the finished look.
3. Remove sticky grease with vinegar spray:
Vinegar is very famously known for its cleaning capabilities. Due to its acidic nature, you lighten it down with water to normalize the pH as you would not want to destroy the cabinets, but they are a very good cleaning agent.
Steps to follow:
- Take a bottle and mix 2 cups of water with 1 cup of vinegar in it with 1 to 2 tablespoon of dish soap. Dawn (2 tablespoons) or castile soap (1 table spoon) is preferred.
- Shake and mix it well.
- Spray the mixture on the cabinets.
- Use your toothbrush to scrub some stickier areas.
- Now take a damped cloth and wipe it all off.
- Apply some oil for a glossy finish look
4. Clean the cabinets with toothpaste
Toothpaste has some cleaning properties. We all know that. They work really fine with our teeth, but they can also work on your kitchen cabinets that need to be cleaned up.
Steps to follow:
- Take a container and add one teaspoon of white tooth paste. Then mix 1 cup water along with two tablespoons of baking soda.
- Mix the mixture really well.
- Take a sponge and start scrubbing using this mixture.
- Rinse away with a damp cloth.
With all the above-given options, clean the cabinets well at the end. Do not leave them wet as the water will damage the cabinets in the long term.
Oil and other cooking ingredients along with the dust build-up grease and sticky material on the cabinets. If you behave carelessly they will end up looking bad and affecting your cabinets. These four methods will help you clean up your cabinets and wipe the grease off so your kitchen can look great with a neat glossy look.
I hope the above four different methods help to give you an answer to your question of how to clean sticky wood kitchen cabinets.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Will vinegar affect the wooden cabinets?
Vinegar is acidic in nature. If you apply it without diluting, then it will affect the woodwork. It can corrode wood and destroy the wax and shiny finish of the cabinets.
To avoid this, always dilute the vinegar with water before spraying it on the cabinets.
Q. How to clean grime off wooden kitchen cabinets?
Make a mixture of vinegar, water, and dish soap. Mix them well and add them in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the cabinets and wipe off with a damped cloth.
Q. How often should I clean my kitchen cabinets?
If you don’t want to stress yourself out with some major cleaning and don’t want to destroy your furniture, you should clean the cabinets on a daily or weekly basis.
If you cook daily, you should have a spray bottle mixture. Just spray and wipe it off daily so that the grease doesn’t build up.
Q. How often should we clean inside of the cabinets?
When your outside of the cabinets requires daily cleaning, the inside also needs some cleaning after every few months. Clean the interior of the cabinets after every 2 to 3 to clear all the dust and grime out.