Many things can get caught in the kitchen or bathroom sink trap, and when those things start to melt, they can smell like horrible rotten eggs in the sink. We all desire our kitchens to smell fresh and clean. Because this is the place where we prepare all our food items. There is nothing but the stench of drowning!
This article will determine why the sink gets the smell, how to get rid of it, and how to stop them from coming back. Below is an inexpensive, simple, and very effective solution.
Why do kitchen sink smells occur?
There are two main reasons why your kitchen sink may smell:
- A pair of food and debris in the sink pipe. Anything you are drowning other than water can stick to the sides of the pipe or sit in a U-turn of pipe. And over time, the bacteria will cause it to spoil and smell.
- Your pipes are coming out of the sewer. If there is no water in your U-turn due to water leakage or evaporation, sewage gases will be able to erect your pipe. The solution is to investigate U-turns for leaks or obstructions. To fix it, you may need to remove the U-Bend and clean it.
In some rare cases, the sink smell like rotten eggs in the kitchen is caused by mold. If you think this may be your problem, read our article on how to get rid of mold to fix it.
What to do if the sink of your kitchen smells?
Diagnose the cause of the problem:
Water is slowly draining out or not at all: debris is filling the pipe, which is obstructed and smells.
The smell of rotten food: rotten food, grease, oil, and grease sticking to the sides of the pipe.
It smells like rotten eggs: the exhaust gases are coming out of the pipe due to a problem in the U-turn.
The smell of kitchen sinks is easily fixed by blocking blockages, cleaning pipes with a ready-made chemical or homemade solution, or fixing U-turns.
If you try all of the methods described below but still smell of sewer gases, You will need professional help.
How to get rid of a smell in the Sink?
Below is a list of different ways to get rid of the dirty kitchen sink smell like rotten eggs.
To get rid of food odors, try any DIY or chemical cleaning methods. Follow the instructions to check your U-turn for sewage gas odor.
DIY Drain Cleaning Methods
Here are some tips to help you get rid of the rotten egg smell.
- Boil a pan or kettle filled with water
- Slowly put it under the plug, one spray at a time
- Then wait for 5 minutes
- Now run a cool nipple to fix any remaining grease to collect and flush
- Put a small amount of white vinegar under the plug
- Let it stand for 30 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
Baking soda and vinegar
- Pour half a cup of baking soda under the plug
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar under the plug
- Let the solution foam and let it stand for a few hours
- Put some boiling water under the plug so that everything can flow
Chemical Cleaning Methods of Sink
Here are some tips to help you get rid of the sink smell like rotten eggs.
Bio-enzyme sink cleaner
It is an environmentally friendly, non-toxic chemical cleaner. It works by using enzymes that eat food debris without damaging your pipes.
Ready-made sink cleaner
Manufactured sewer cleaning chemicals can be purchased at most hardware stores or supermarkets.
But be careful. These chemicals can be dangerous. Always follow the instructions on the packaging and wear rubber gloves and goggles.
Check the U-bend
The U-bending pipe below your kitchen sink is also known as a drain gas trap. This U-turn should constantly be filled with water and a barrier to prevent sewage gas from escaping.
I hope you have got cleared with your question that why does my sink smell like rotten eggs. Follow the above methods to get rid of rotten eggs smell from your kitchen sink.