It is easy to paint glass jars, a satisfying craft, and add some colors to your surroundings. Glass is a nice canvas to paint with some DIY actions to produce some wonderful designs.
If you want to paint glass jars, the first question that might come to your mind is what is the best paint for glass jars?
So which type of paint is best for glass jars? Acrylic paint is the best option to paint glass like solvent-based paints. Chalk paint can also be used on glass jars. Just make sure the paint works best on the glass jar.
Painting glass is a bug satisfaction. The glass paints available now are extremely flexible. With some effort, all types of routine glassware can be turned into beautiful and different art pieces.
Kids also love to paint. You can spend time creating colorful glasses or add some art to the window of your bedroom.
In this article, we will focus on the best paint products you can buy but before moving to the recommended paints, it’s also improtant to know how to paint glass jars and what supplies do you need for paitning the glass.
- How to Paint Glass Jars
- 8 Best paint for Glass Jars
- 1. U.S. Art Supply 12 Color Acrylic Paint Jar Set
- 2. Arteza Craft Acrylic Paint, set of 20 colors
- 3. Krylon Stained Glass Aerosol Paint
- 4. Rust-Oleum Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint
- 5. Premium Acrylic Paint Set By Individual
- 6. FolkArt Gloss Finish Acrylic Enamel Craft Set
- 7. B BEARALS Glass Paint, Stained Glass Paint 12 colors
- 8. Magicdo Stained Glass Paint with Palette, Transparent
How to Paint Glass Jars
If you’re new, you have to learn proper painting. It is not a difficult procedure. However, there are few things that must be kept in mind.
Step 1: Clean your surface
Cleaning is the first and main step before you start painting the outer side of your glass jar. All the labels must be removed, and wash the jar properly with soapy water. After washing, use a clean cotton cloth for drying. Rubbing alcohol can also be used to wipe the surface.
After proper cleaning, dry it before starting to paint. Start with the application of paint coats to the jar. Instructions must be read carefully before working with your paint.
Step 2: Paint! And paint again
Acrylic craft paint needs two coat application with a foam brush or a paintbrush if you need a solid layer over the full jar.
After the application of the first coat, wait for 20 minutes to allow it to dry before applying the further coat.
Put down your hand inside the jar to turn the jar while painting. This will keep away fingerprints on the paint and make your fingers dirty.
Working with enamel-based acrylic paint requires some time to dry. It might take 20 days. After complete drying, distress with 100-grit and 120-grit sandpaper if you want a rustic look.
In order to paint designs, make sure to apply a thick, healthy coat. Shading and value of your work well with a thick coat- add a base color and add light and dark values on top of an automatic second layer.
Acrylic paint pens are used to create more detailed designs on glass jars.
Step 3: Seal the Jar
Final step is sealing the jar with double coats of acrylic sealer. If you want to seal the jar, a satin or matte sealer works best.
If you want a shiny look, you can use a glossy sealer. Dry before using the jar.
How to Paint the inside of a Glass Jar
It is easy to paint the inner side of a jar. But if you want to do so, you cannot fill the jar with water as the paint will get removed.
It is fun to paint the inner side of the container. However, the idea is not good for jars used for food and drinks purposes.
If you want to remodel an old jar, below are the steps to paint it.
- Clean the jar properly with soapy water.
- Put 1-2 tablespoons of paint inside the jar. You need more paint if the jar is big.
- Till the inner surface is coated, swirl the paint around. Few drops of water are added if the paint is too thick.
- Invert the jar on sheets of towel paper. This will drain the extra paint to drain off the inner surface.
- Turn the jar with the right side up and clean extra paint from the rim.
Wait till drying and the glass jar is ready.
What Supplies do you Need for Painting on Glass
Glassworks really well for painting purposes, however, you will require the right supplies available to make sure to get the best results.
- Glass Paint
- Acrylic glass paint
- Acrylic enamel paint
- Solvent-based paint
- Glass painting pens and markers
- Other Glass Painting Materials
- Applicator sponges
- Paint brushes
- Latex gloves
- Clean microfiber cloths for fixing any mistakes
8 Best paint for Glass Jars
After research, we have gathered details regarding the best paints to use on glass.
1. U.S. Art Supply 12 Color Acrylic Paint Jar Set
It is an excellent product that works best for painting glass jars. The set has 12 jars, each with 250 ml of acrylic paint.
The colors in the set are crimson red, cobalt blue, lamp black, lemon yellow, vermillion, and hooker’s green, among others.
The paints are made of the best-quality pigments. The paints have a smooth texture and are non-toxic. The product is budget-friendly, especially if you want different colors in 1 packet.
It is a good option to think about your DIY craft painting.
2. Arteza Craft Acrylic Paint, set of 20 colors
It is the best product with more color range. It has 20 different colors with no limit for your creativity with decorating glass jars. It has high quality, multifunctional, and dries with a matte finish.
Arteza Craft Acrylic Paint is used to paint wood, glass, fabrics, paper, and ceramics along with a canvas.
Blending colors is easy, and the paint dries quickly, making you paint more coats faster.
The product is non-toxic. The colors available are white, titanium, lilac, sapphire blue, espresso brown, apple green, and koala grey.
The bottles are 60 ml that only squeeze the amount required for painting. It is the best product to think about before painting the next glass jar.
3. Krylon Stained Glass Aerosol Paint
You got eight different colors in this Krylon Stained Glass Aerosol Paint. The colors are cobalt blue, canary yellow, summer green, cranberry red, royal purple, smoke grey, soft blue, and tangerine orange.
11Oz can is available for this paint. It is translucent, specially made for Glass. It changes clear Glass into a beautiful stained glass look. It can be used easily and is non-toxic.
To paint with spray, simply clean the jar and spray the paint in sweeping motions keeping it few inches away from the jar. The final look is translucent, not opaque.
4. Rust-Oleum Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint
The excellent chalk paint product gives glass jars a nice matte look. The paint is used on the glass surface, metal, wood, canvas paper, and ceramic. It is easily applied and dries in 30 minutes to give a matte look.
It is available in 12 different colors that include country grey, farmhouse red, linen white, coastal blue, charcoal, chiffon cream, and more.
The paint has a 30-ounce container covering 150 sq. per coating. Rust-Oleum is the best option if you are looking for an aged, vintage look of your Glass.
5. Premium Acrylic Paint Set By Individual
It is an excellent set to try out. It has 8 exotic colors with 20ml containers. The colors are red, pink, blue, black, white, green, and yellow. The colors are mixed to get more color ranges.
The product is formulated in Germany. It has a smooth texture, non-toxic, and is easy to use. It is really good to work with fabric, plastic, wood, metal, and canvas paper.
If you want professional-grade and affordable acrylic paints for your DIY purpose, this paint is worthy to consider.
6. FolkArt Gloss Finish Acrylic Enamel Craft Set
Both beginners and experienced crafters can enjoy this paint. It has a thinner texture as compared to standard acrylics and is easy to brush on. They offer good coverage and gives rich, exotic color with more opacity.
The color can mix well, and virtually any color can be produced with this eight-piece starter side.
It dries to a tough finish with no requirement of sealing. It will enhance durability. The paints are effective on ceramics also.
7. B BEARALS Glass Paint, Stained Glass Paint 12 colors
This paint has a set of 12 mixable colors in 0.84-ounce bottles. It is a good oppertunity for beginners on a low budget.
The nontoxic paints observe the safety standards of both U.S. ASTM D-4236 and European EN71-3, and kids can also be a part of the fun.
The versatile product can be used on any type of glassware, with maximum heat resistance for sunny windows or painting light bulbs.
It also has a smooth flow that minimizes the brush marks appearance. Paint can be good if dried in the air for a week or left for baking for 2 hours.
8. Magicdo Stained Glass Paint with Palette, Transparent
The paint is non-toxic and kid-friendly with a packing of 12 tubes, with a weight of 0.4 ounces. A clean mixing palette is present to mix the colors for great creativity. The starting price is highly transparent however, more color is desired with added cost.
The paint is best on ceramics and glassware. Oven curing is done for increasing durability. The high heat resistance of the paint is a good option to use on light bulbs.
But light bulbs must be dried in the air for almost 24 hours minimum and should never be placed in an oven.
What kind of glass bottles are good for painting?
- You can use just any glass jar as mostly the people like to paint old soda/wine bottles or canning jars.
- For a vintage look with your eclectic décor, you can buy even some new glass bottles or canning jars.
- It is good to have embossed lettering or design on the bottles if buying the new ones. This will add more style to your project.
- Make sure the Glass is not chipped or cracked either you are buying a new jar or reusing the old one.
- It should be clean as well.
What types of paintbrush you can use for painting glass?
The choice and selection of paint brush are also very important.
- A synthetic bristle brush leaves noticeable brush marks. It is not suggested for a subtle look but the best choice to have a rustic look.
- To paint large areas and smooth coverage, a natural bristle paintbrush is used.
- The size of the brush is also an important thing to consider.
- For detailing, narrow paint brushes are good; however, flat and broad paintbrushes are used to paint bigger areas.
- To give a textured and frosted look, applicator sponges are used for more creativity with painting jars and bottles.
How to get rid of spray paint overspray from Glass?
Nail polish removal is the best solution to remove paint from Glass. From a tough surface, a sharp razor blade is used to remove.
Avoid using on delicate items as the blade might scratch the surface of your Glass.
Below are some steps to follow.
- Wear rubber gloves and sit on an open surface
- Take a microfiber cloth and immerse it in nail color remover
- Rub it on the spray paint you want to remove
- Some level of elbow grease might be used, and with many attempts, you will get the result.
What paint lasts on Glass?
The best option to paint smooth surfaces like Glass is acrylic enamel paint.
How do you permanently paint Glass?
The steps to paint Glass permanently are
- See the tutorial video
- The tools you require
- On the front of the plate, draw ½’’ square grid
- On the base of the wine glass, paint strips
- Put the dishes in an oven for 30 minutes at 325⁰
What kind of pen do you use to paint on Glass?
Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Markers works best on any surface like wood, rubber, and stone, plastic, metal pottery, along with other surfaces. It dries up fastly and is a worthy option to create posters, scrapbooks, and art on the window.
You can add new drapes and creativity to your projects with your excellent creativity and skills. With the above mentioned some of the best paint for glass jars, you need to be creative and select the products that can add glow to your work, especially for painting jars and bottles. Select the right products like a paintbrush, type of paint, and other related materials. If you are energetic, you can paint without any help.